Skip to main content

The Old
Konjice castle

One of the oldest castles in Slovenia

The castle was one of the largest and most magnificent in Styria. Its remains are still among the most important castle ruins. It was first mentioned in 1165 in the charter of the founding of the Žička Carthusian Monastery, but it was certainly built much earlier.

Most of the walls date back to the Gothic era. This includes in particular the mighty five-pointed tower, which began leaning against the residential building in the 14th century, as well as the massive defensive wall mantle. Later, this design was extended with residential buildings, and the perimeter was fortified with a belt of Renaissance fortifications – among them a bastion with almost four-meter thick walls. The castle is a typical example of a burgeoning castle, which gradually evolved from a small Romanesque beginning into a vast castle complex.

Its first owners were the Konjice lords, when Liupold of Konjice is mentioned for the first time, in 1164. The Konjice lords, who were considered church benefactors, eminent feudal lords, deeply religious and belligerent people, ruled the castle until 1329, after which the castle passed through the hands of various noble families. It was held by the Tattenbach family for 100 years. Ivan Erazem Tattenbach, a member of the family, was beheaded and all his property confiscated for his participation in the conspiracy against the emperor. The castle thus passed into the hands of the Carthusians from the Žiče Carthusian Monastery, which is when the slow deterioration of this magnificent building began. In the 18th century, when the castle was taken over by the last owner, Duke Windischgrätz, the building was already in ruins.

In recent years, the remnants of the castle have been restored in such a way that it will be protected from decay and individual parts will enable activities that will revive the castle with appropriate content. The old castle was, and remains, a landmark of the city which has been developing under its foothills for centuries.


You can ride a bike to the Old Castle along the gravel trail or walk to it along the Little Dragon's Learning Trail.


Due to its special position among the greenery, the veduta of the Old Castle can be seen for several kilometers before we arrive in Slovenske Konjice.

In connection with Konjiška gora, in addition to the legend, there are two other stories that tell where the names Gospodična (the Miss/maiden) and Konjska smrt (horse death) come from.

Take a walk along Little dragon’s learning trail and discover the secrets of Konjiška gora.

Castle Reconstruction

The Trebnik

The manor above the old market centre of Slovenske Konjice

The history of the Trebnik Manor dates back to the 14th century, more precisely to 1308, when it was first mentioned in historical sources as “Trebnikke”, and it was mentioned as a manor under the Konjice castle in 1362. The manor acquired its final appearance in the 16th century.

Over time, numerous events have affected it and its owners. The most characteristic and important owner was the Windischgrätz family, which owned the manor from 1828 until the end of the Second World War. They lived in it only occasionally, it served them more as a summer residence. A lot of attention was paid to the surroundings, especially the horticultural aspect. They had a landscaped garden and their own gardener. This is also where the great love for flowers comes from, which spread in Slovenske Konjice and still lives today.

After the war, the manor came into the ownership of the Municipality of Slovenske Konjice, which dedicated the manor premises to various activities, such as a cinema, café, kindergarten amongst others. This most likely affected the rather poor and abandoned state in which the manor found itself in 1997.

In the shadow of the mighty Konjiška gora and the tranquility of the charming park by Trebnik, which continues into the over 870-year-old town centre of Slovenske Konjice, there is a strong pulse of the past. Today, the Trebnik manor is generally accessible and intended for the implementation of health and related activities in Building B, as well as catering and tourism or accommodation, and some departments of the Slovenske Konjice Music School have found a home in Building A.

A sufficient number of parking spaces are provided next to the building, and the manor is located in an extremely attractive and pleasant part of Slovenske Konjice – in a renovated city park with a picturesque jogging trail, a sports park, a quaint pond with an islet and a children’s playground in the shade of mighty trees. The park is divided by the murmuring stream, Ribnica, which continues its path past the Church of St. George into the Konjice old town square.

On the ground floor of the renovated Building B of the Trebnik Manor there is the Trebnik Restaurant and Café, and on the first floor, which includes four business premises, there are various service activitiesincluding space for lectures, consultations, , business meetings and conventions. On the same floor there is also the 90 m2 “Christianne’s room” (named after the last living person from the Windischgrätz family) and can accommodate 40 to 60 people offering various layouts with 24 conference tables, 60 chairs and a speaker’s desk. The room is heated and equipped with a projection screen, a freestanding whiteboard, an LCD projector and internet access. Over time, it has also become a venue for occasional exhibitions.

In the attic space of the renovated mansion, visitors can sleep in comfortable and tastefully furnished rooms.  Dvorec Trebnik – ROOMS has eight bright and spacious rooms, which have contemporary furnishing. Read more about accommodation at


An islet with a bench and a connecting bridge in the middle of a pond in a city park.


In the immediate vicinity is the Park Sports and Recreation Centre, which offers many opportunities for sports and recreation. Among other things, the ŠRC Park offers an outdoor basketball court, an outdoor multipurpose playground, a hockey and tennis court, a climbing house, playgrounds for children of different ages, as well as a running track and an outdoor fitness center. From 4 November 2021, a new Pumptrack, a track for all enthusiasts on wheels, skateboards and roller skates, is available next to the Slovenske Konjice Sports Hall.


The mansion where an internationally renowned healer used to live

The mansion, which most likely stood here as early as the 18th century, was later named after the Hungarian baron and retired senior officer of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, Ödön Vay de Vaya.

At the end of the 19th century, Baron Ödön Vay de Vaya bought a mansion, then called Prevrat (Schloss Preurath), which he later probably rebuilt. The Hungarian baron came from a politically important and wealthy Hungarian Protestant noble family and married the noblewoman Adelma (b. Wurmbrand – Stuppach). They met at a young age and married when Adelma was twenty years old. The couple was extremely popular among the Konjice people, especially because of their charity. In 1897, they also built the Red Cross or “Christiane lazaret” hospital in Konjice.

They chose Slovenske Konjice as their home entirely at random. Adelma slid her finger across the map, and stopped at the name Gonobitz, today’s Konjice. They bought the mansion at Prevrat, as evidenced by the entry in the land register on February 4, 1867. Today, this mansion is known as Baronvaj.

Today, it houses rental apartments.


  • Adelma von Vay was considered a very successful healer, spiritualist and medium in her time, so she was highly valued among occult circles in Europe and America. With the help of homeopathy and magnetism, she treated the surrounding peasant population as well as patients from Europe and America.
  • Adelma believed that their mansion was guarded by three angels with swords.
  • In 1927, Alfred Lavrič, owner of the Laurich leather factory of Slovenske Konjice, bought the mansion and the Baronvaj estate. At that time, the complex consisted of a villa, two smaller houses for servants and an outbuilding. There were four apartments in the villa with a total living area of 420 m². It was inhabited by Lavrič’s close associates and employees. The Lavrič leather family laid the foundations for the later KONUS company.


A mansion named after its good view of the Dravinja Valley

The Pogled Manor stands on a slope above Loče. The name of the mansion indicates that there may have been a fortified outpost here as early as the Middle Ages, which protected the path from Konjice along the Dravinja.

The surrounding area of the mansion was first mentioned in documents in 1369, but it is not known whether it already existed at that time. Some of the surrounding estates then belonged to Ulrik Grasl from Poljčane, who sold them to the Žička Carthusian Monastery in that year. The present mansion is said to have been erected around 1524, when Ahac Schrott, who owned the property until 1590, is mentioned as the caretaker.

The mansion is designed in a square plan, and in the 16th century three round towers and an arcaded courtyard were added. In 1617, the mansion was rebuilt, as evidenced by the year above the connecting door. At that time, it was owned by Max pl. Plöschen. In the same year, the Plöschen family was named “von Pogledt”, from which the name of the castle itself originates.

Over the course of its existence, the mansion has gone through several owners, and today it houses tenant apartments. That is why the interior spaces have undergone a lot of modifications. Today, among other things, the original spaces are the barrel vault on the ground floor of the eastern part of the southern section, where the kitchen was once located, the cross vaults on the ground floor of the western end and the original chapel, which was arranged on the floor of the western section and is now used as a room.


Some researchers connect the Pogled Manor and Zbelovo Castle through the famous medieval poem, Parzival, by the Bavarian poet Wolfram von Eschenbach, with the stories of the Holy Grail. Parzival’s relatives along the male line, the Anschouwe knights, are said to come  from southern Styria. Esoteric interpretations understand the medieval German term Anschouwe as a spiritual “view” or insight and, based on the name, associate it with the mansion Pogled (which translates as ‘to view’).


The Pogled mansion can also be reached by bicycle along the marked circular cycling route (no. 5), which starts from Loče and connects the neighboring villages of Koble, Sv. Jernej, Mlače and Zbelovo, or along the cycling route from Slovenske Konjice (no. 6). The Loško-Zbelovska mountain trail leads past the mansion.

Mountain bikes and e-bikes can also be hired at TIC Slovenske Konjice. Price list.

Zbelovo Castle

The castle, situated on top of a rocky cliff on Zbelovska gora

Southwest of Poljčane, on the steep hill of Zbelovska gora, there are ruins of the former Zbelovo castle. The latter was indirectly referred to in 1206, when Ortolf I Zbelovski was first mentioned.

As a “Vesten Plankenstein”, the sources first directly mention the castle in 1428. Initially, it was the seat of the Lords of Zbelovo (1202 – circa 1400), and then went through several owners until the castle was taken over in 1580 by the Counts of Thurn, whose property it was until their downfall.

The Zbelovo castle played an important role, especially in the protection of the road leading from the Savinja Valley to the Podravje region. It also housed a toll office and a provincial court, which provided attorneyship to many church institutions. In the second half of the 17th century, the castle was already in ruins, as evidenced by Vischer’s topography.


What do you think of when you hear the name Zbelovo? We do not know exactly whether it was first the name of a settlement or a mountain; however, it is likely that the name is associated with the colour white.


The Pogled mansion can also be reached by bicycle along the marked circular cycling route (no. 5), which starts from Loče and connects the neighboring villages of Koble, Sv. Jernej, Mlače and Zbelovo, or along the cycling route from Slovenske Konjice (no. 6). The Loško-Zbelovska hiking trail leads past the mansion.

Mountain bikes and e-bikes can also be hired at TIC Slovenske Konjice. Price list.

Golič Mansion

A mansion that once had the aroma of great cognac

According to tradition, the mansion, located in the village of Dobrnež near Slovenske Konjice, was named after a bare hill that can be seen in its background.

On the right side of the entrance, an inlaid slab is preserved in the hallway, which testifies that the mansion was newly built in 1542 by Adam of Lindek. Stegenšek wrote that there was probably no mansion in the area before that year.

According to some art historians (Šumi, Stopar), Golič is a typical example of a Styrian Renaissance mansion. The building has an almost square floor plan, which is surrounded by two round defense towers at two opposite corners. The layout of the rooms is symmetrical, and the mansion was probably surrounded by a wide, water-filled ditch in the past, which was later backfilled. The park design complex in the immediate vicinity of the mansion, which together with the building formed a complete ring, was also important.


On May 7, 1635, the mansion was demolished by peasants who caused financial damage to the owner, Zofia Conta, to the tune of 6,000 guineas.

In the Mansion, Benedict Hertl and his wife were brewing cognac of such high quality that it even received an award in Paris.

Dobje Manor (Dobjehof)

A manor built at the end of the Zreče terrace

The manor is located northwest of Slovenske Konjice between Dravinja and the Koprivnica stream.

The hamlet, named after an oak tree (dob), was first mentioned in 1375 in one of the documents. The manor was first referred to in sources in 1497, when a certain “Jurij zu Dobie” was mentioned. In the time of Augustin Stegenšek, the entrance to the court was adorned with a chronogram, which is no longer there today, which carried an inscription saying that the building was built by Franc Ksaverij Blagatinšek, who was renamed Blagotinšek by many later writers. Later, August pl. Clossman (1853–1860) was mentioned as an ownerand then further owners: Baroness Beatrix Lebzeltern (1860–1876), Baroness Maria Baltin (1876–1896) and Countess Aleksandrine Sermage (1896–1945).

In his writings, Stegenšek mentioned the testimony of Clossman’s daughter, who heard the story that Dobjihof was, in its time, even a female monastery of the Žiče order, as evidenced by the chapel and nets in front of the windows. This claim is also allegedly confirmed by the fact that the house does not have a basement, as underground tunnels led to the Carthusian monastery once upon a time. This is, of course, not true, as the building was not built until 1763, and the chapel was built and blessed in 1768.

There are several other stories related to the mansion, but most of them are about Countess Aleksandra Sermage. Before coming to Dobjihof, she was an educator at the imperial court in Vienna. The people of Konjice called her the “Countess of Dobjehof”, and she was known for her hospitality.

Today, the mansion houses rental apartments.


  • Anton Blagatinšek, one of the owners of the mansion, supported the state with money and grain during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1817 the emperor elevated the entire family to nobility with the surname Edler von Kaiserfeld as a sign of gratitude.
  • The mother of Countess Alexandrina Sermage, one of the owners of the mansion, was the cousin of Adelma von Vay.
  • Today, the owner of the mansion is the local wine company, Zlati grič d.o.o., and a golf practice range operated next to the mansion for a while.


  • Adelma Vay de Vaya
    2022 ‘Adelma vay de Vaya – kontroverzna Konjičanka.’ Web source. Published on 5 January 2018.
  • Boldin, Aleksandra
    2004 Konjice: skozi zgodovino do sodobnosti. Slovenske Konjice: Municipality of Sl. Konjice and the Konjice Historical Society.
  • Ciglenečki, Jan
    2016 ‘Grad »Pogled-Anschau«: Odmevi Wolframovega Parzivala v novejših interpretacijah Gralovih legend na slovenskem Štajerskem’ V: KONJICE: 870 let prve pisne omembe. Mag. Aleksandra Boldin, ur. Slovenske Konjice: Slovenske Konjice: Municipality of SK. page 76-83.
  • Hazler, Vito
    2013 Kulturna dediščina – izziv sodobnemu podjetništvu. Kulturna dediščina, Volume 9. Ljubljana: Univerza v Ljubljani, Faculty of Philosophy.
  • Ožinger, Anton in Ivan PAJK, eds.
    1996 Konjiško ob 850-letnici pražupnije. Slovenske Konjice: Archparish Office.
  • Jakič, Ivan
    1995 Gradovi, graščine in dvorci na Slovenskem. Radovljica: Didakta.
  • Stegenšek, Avguštin
    2010 Konjiška dekanija. Slovenj Gradec : Cerdonis.
  • Stopar, Ivan
    991 Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji, II. Ljubljana: Faculty of Philosophy.
  • Židov, Nena
    2015 ‘Adelma Vay – spregledana zdravilka iz Slovenskih Konjic’ Etnolog: Glasnik Slovenskega etnografskega muzeja 25: 139-154.